Dental care the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety
of conditions, disorders and diseases affecting the, teeth, gums, tongue, lips and jaws.
The professional practitioners of dentistry are commonly referred to as dentists.
General dentists provide services related to the general maintenance of oral hygiene and oral health. Prevention plays an important role in dentistry and this is why it is
important to have regular dental check ups - at least once every six months. Regular checkups and oral health maintenance prevent the development of serious dental problems that can require costly
treatment. If you remain vigilant and visit your dentist regularly, you
can enjoy exceptional dental health. Smile Makeover
Oral Surgery Wisdom teeth can be left in the mouth when they are healthy and
properly positioned in the mouth. Extraction of third molars is generally recommended when:
A Healthy Mouth
- Wisdom teeth erupt only partially.
- Poorly aligned wisdom teeth will damage the adjacent teeth.
- A cyst (fluid-filled sac) forms, destroying the surrounding structures such as bone tooth roots.
- The mouth is too small for these teeth to erupt in a proper position b
ehind the second molar. This is also referred to as Partial Bony Impaction.
The most common complication of the partial bony impaction, is that the flap
of gum tissue which partially covers the erupting third molar, creates a pocket
where bacteria that are present in the mouth can grow and cause an infection known as pericoronitis which
can lead to swelling and pain. The treatment for pericoronitis is extraction
of the third molar tooth.
The following can be signs which signal the beginning of an oral pathology:
- The inside of a healthy mouth is normally lined with a special type of skin
(mucosa) that is smooth and coral pink in color. Any alteration in this appearance
could be a warning sign for a pathological process. The most serious of these is oral cancer.
These changes can be detected on the lips,
cheeks, palate, gum tissue around the teeth, tongue, face, and/or neck.
Pain is not always an associated symptom. At North Carolina Dental
Practice all patients are examined for any oral
pathology signs in their mouths. Timely diagnosis can limit the spread of theses conditions... If you feel that you or someone you know have any of
the symptoms that have been discussed or if you have any questions and / or concerns,
please do not hesitate to contact our
office so we can put you in touch with our specialists who can address your concerns.
- Reddish patches (erythroplasia) or whitish patches (leukoplakia) in the mouth
- A sore that fails to heal and bleeds easily
- A lump or thickening on the skin lining the inside of the mouth
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Difficulty in chewing or swallowing